Saint Mary's College, in affiliation with Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST), offers students the opportunity to live and study for a semester in Germany. Freie Universität is one of Germany's premier institutions of higher education, founded in 1948, with an enrollment of circa 32,000 students.
Website of Program/University:
Unique Aspects of Program:
The program aims to provide an intensive and diverse study abroad experience to its participants. Combining mandatory German language instruction and a varied menu of content courses taught in English and German, FU-BEST is intended to be an accessible opportunity to a wide range of potential participants. Using its concept of the "extended classroom", the program's goal is to link high-quality academic instruction with a broader international experience, encompassing elements of culture, society, history, and politics, in Berlin, in Germany, and in (Central) Europe generally. Small classes and the availability of day-to-day guidance and support are designed to enable students to make the most of a unique educational opportunity.
Country and/or City Information:
- A dynamic, multicultural, Central European metropolis with 3.4 million inhabitants
- A rich and dramatic past, spanning many centuries and the ups and downs of German history
- A spectacular diversity of cultural offerings, featuring countless museums and world-renowned orchestras, opera houses, and theaters
- Ample recreational opportunity in parks, forests, and at the area's many lakes
- A first-class public transportation network, plus convenient access to various destinations in Germany and throughout (Central) Europe
- A vibrant night-life, producing a "city that never sleeps"
3.0 GPA, open to juniors and seniors
Field of Study:
- Art History
- Global Regional Studies
Students are required to take German language class, offered at all levels. There are also many English-taught content classes to fulfill your major, minor or general education requirements.
Students live with German host families and share their meals with them.
If you are a student at one of the US Lasallian universities or colleges, you will remain enrolled at your school and pay tuition and program fees there. Tuition is based on your campus tuition rates and may include an additional surcharge depending on the program. Contact the person on your campus responsible for study abroad.
Scholarship Information: N/A
Fall: March 1
Spring: October 1
- Make sure you submit all application materials to your Home Campus by the application deadline.